Thursday, June 12, 2008

lowercase people


I won't lie. Lowercase People is a site that I stumbled onto unexpectedly. I have a tendency to go to websites and scroll down to the bottom where I find random links and associated sites. Through a chain of events I came to this web page. It's colorful homepage reads "The Online Magazine for Artists in Action". "Okay", I thought, "let's poke around".

First of all, before I even started reading the archives of music interviews and social justice journals, I went to the "about" tab. I have to know the background of a site so I can understand where they are coming from and why they do what they do. So this is what I found out:
"lowercase people is a daring new endeavor to revolutionize the way we view beauty, truth and humanity. lowercase people includes: lowercasepeople.com, lowercase people Apparel, and the lowercase people Justice Fund whose purpose is to serve third world communities around the world in partnership with Geneva Global. Beneath the overarching banners of beauty and truth, lp brands focus collectively on the appreciation and promotion of noteworthy artists and art, and the advocacy of important issues of social justice."
Alright! If you are anything like me, you get fired up to see a write up with the opening line using words like "daring, revolutionize, truth, and humanity".

I am not quite able to say that I have had much experience with "online" magazines, so this was something entirely new for me. I figured it really couldn't be a bad idea since usually you pay six dollars for a magazine that gets cut up, torn, and lost (Not to mention, you don't have to deal with half the pages being useless ads). So, I dove into Issue 1 and went to the featured article in the "words" section. A well written article on the sax player John Coltrane kept my attention for five minutes before my trigger finger got going again.

One of the first things I always look for on a website like this is a "Get Involved" link. And to my pleasure, there was a link right at the top under "Justice" (fitting). There is an opportunity for anyone to donate to a mentioned cause after a short article explains what is going on and where the money will be placed.

Of course, the best part of this is the opportunity for artists and writers to submit their work and be part of something bigger than themselves. Since this whole organization is fairly new, I'm sure they are looking for fresh talent, and big hearts to develop their community and engage their mission.

No comments: